Yet another stereo club?
In July 2020 four 3D hobbyists came together to fill a void in the stereography world. A place where everyone — no matter if novice or veteran — could feel welcome and have their perspective on stereography heard and valued. Mutual respect instead of requirements, global connections instead of local limitations. And just like that, a new community was formed under the name Brooklyn Stereoscopic Association and the first live online meeting took place.
Soon after the first live meeting the BSA and the Stereosite joined forces: The presentations that were given at a BSA live meeting would be published on Stereosite and authors of articles were invited to present at a meeting as well. During that period the leadership team consisted — in alphabetical order — of Stacey Doyle Ference, Ian Ference, Pascal Martiné, André Ruiter and Keita Wangari.
The centerpiece of each meeting were two presentations about a broad variety of 3D related topics:
- Talks about 3D animation for mobile, Recreation of the autochrome process, Filmstrip stereoscopes, etc.
- Slide shows featuring stereo photographers with Underwater stereo photos, Light rays in 3D, 3d street photography, etc.
- Tutorials about Baseline basics, Restoring stereoscopic antiques, Collecting stereo views etc.
- Community show and tells were the possibility for everyone to just quickly show a new stereo photo, collector’s item or anything else.
2021: new structure — same atmosphere
In March 2021, it was time for another update of our unique community. Our main goals with this update were to have something of interest for all members at each meeting and to streamline club administration — all while keeping the welcoming and friendly atmosphere we’ve all enjoyed so much. Changes include:
- Moving to monthly meetings
- Having shorter talks so we can bring members a history/collecting talk, a stereo photography showcase, a tutorial and a community activity at every meeting
- Moving content from the BSC website to the Stereosite website
- And finally, changing our name to Virtual Stereoscopic Community as we feel this better suits our ongoing mission: Connecting people from all over the world online to share their passion.
Find out about the meeting dates and the content of each meeting. All announcements will appear in the blog as well.
If you missed a talk, need to re-watch a tutorial, or just want to see what are presentations are like, visit our archive.
Do you want to know how to join us or do you have something you want to present in one of our meetings? Then click on the link above!
Read more about who organizes the VSC, plans new presentations and runs the meetings.